Purple sprouting broccoli fritters. Sprouted broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables. It has a relatively short commercial cropping season, but in my garden it tends to be bi-annual and I usually do two harvests, one in the early spring and again in the late autumn. These fritters are utterly delicious and the batter is very light and versatile. Scale up the recipe for bigger batches.
125g light brown self-raising flour
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1⁄2 tbsp cumin seeds
1⁄2 tsp salt
50 – 70 ml sparkling water
8 sprouted broccoli florets, trimmed to an even size, around 5cm long
500ml hot vegetable oil
- Place the flour, cumin and sesame seeds into a large bowl and mix together the batter should nicely coat the back of a spoon but not be too gloopy.
- Add the sparkling water and whisk vigorously to form a batter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan until hot, 165°c is ideal.
- Dip the broccoli florets into the batter and carefully place into the hot oil and deep-fry in batches, so as not to overcrowd the pan.
- Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on to kitchen towels.
Try serving this with lemon wedges and my broad bean dip →